Check and ask to Your Hotel in Palermo our:
- last sites avaible on this day trip, a discount could be present;
- last sites avaible on this day trip, an hard discount could be present;
- most requested excursion, the itinerary will be proposed out from the scheduled program day;
- extra itinerary out from the scheduled weekly progam.
Villa Palagonia (wall detail)
We are also on :
Something about.. HIMERA
Founded in 648 BC Greeks by origin calcidese and Doric , the site has a particularly favorable for the development of a Greek colony in the middle of a wide bay between the headlands of Termini Imerese area and Cefalu , and near the mouth of the river Himera , an important artery connecting to the center of Sicily.Himera had rapidly developed and demographic documented from large urban made as of the first half of the 6th century. B.C. and the monumentality of the sanctuary erected to Athena at the top of the city. An inscription found at Samos recalls moments of tension with indigenous peoples - sicani hinterland, disagreements that probably forced the Himeresi , around the middle of the 6th c. . BC, to seek help from Phalaride , tyrant of Agrigento. Even with the Carthaginians from the nearby city of Palermo and Solunto the relationship was not always peaceful . At the beginning of the 5th century . B.C. Terillo the tyrant , who was expelled from the city with the help of Therone , tyrant of Agrigento, who had taken refuge in Reggio , appealed for help to the Carthaginians , who sent a strong army in Sicily . A coalition of Greeks of Sicily the Carthaginians faced victoriously in an epic battle , was under the walls of Himera in 480 BC, after which it was built in the lower town the Temple of Victory. In the following years the city was subject to political control of Therone , who favored the re-population of it . The himeresi soon regained independence from Agrigento and were not involved in major episodes in the history of the island until 415 BC, when a contingent himerese took part in the battle of Asinaro , alongside Syracuse against the Athenians . Is at the end of the 5th century that marks the destiny of Himera : in 409 BC , as part of yet another clash with the Carthaginians , the city is destroyed. The population suffered a fate varied: some were scattered in the countryside , with the Carthaginians others participated in the founding of Thermae Himerae (today Termini Imerese ), a small group went on, probably , to live at the site of the polis , as evidenced by the remains of houses built on layers of destruction of the city .Himera boasted among its citizens men such as the lyric poet Stesichorus and several winning athletes of the Olympic Games . The site was inhabited in the next Age , Roman and medieval : a Roman villa was built in the western part of the town greek , while around the ruins of the temple of Victory in the medieval period was built farmhouse .
The organization of the city is one of the most interesting aspects of the colonial world greek , which provides a significant contribution to Himera . Little is known about the first phase of life (mid- seventh to early sixth century BC. ) In the first half of the sixth century . B.C. were designed two different and distinct systems planning , characterized by perpendicular streets that marked the blocks , oriented in a north - south in the plains, in the lower town , in an East -West up area in the hills, high city on hill . A space was reserved for the privileged sanctuaries. The more you know, the Temple of Athena , occupies the north-eastern part of the upper city , while in the lower town a great sanctuary included the Temple of Victory . Within the urban fabric rose , then , small shrines neighborhood . The entire urban area was defended by a citywall . The cemeteries were located along the main routes out. Well known is the eastern necropolis , located at the beach , to the east of the river Himera .
Made and designed by F. Minissi , the Antiquarium was inaugurated in 1984, was closed for renovations a few years , was finally reopened to the public in 2001. There are preserved the most notable objects found in excavations of Himera and other sites within the territory of the polis. The exhibition space develops along a tour itinerary that covers the main issues of cultural and historical Greek colony and its territory . In the entrance hall educational panels introducing the history and topography of the site, while an exhibition space is devoted to a gutter in a lion's head from the Temple of Victory and the medals . The tour proceeds to "higher level" where they are exposed architectural elements and offerings from the Temple of Athena, the upper town. The " central " is dedicated to objects of "material culture" from the excavations carried out in the various areas of the town. The " lower level " includes a selection of pots and kits from the Necropolis , a section devoted to important sites in the area, such as Terravecchia Cuti , Fixed Mount , Walls Pregne / Brucato , Cefalu and an exhibition of underwater finds . The visit ends with a polychrome mosaic of African tradition , found in the Roman villa situated on a ridge overlooking the sea , not far from Cefalu’.
Himera - Greek temple
Something about.. MARINEO (PA)
Marineo and its castle
Marineo and its castle are situated on a limestone valley that stretches across the Euterio’s Valley almost to obstruct and sleeping in a steep gorge . By side on a rocky part overlooking the valley stands the castle. With certainty we know that the first and most important construction took place right after the ending victorious Carlo D' Angio’ argued against the Swebian house for the conquest of Sicily and southern Italy. As his power and his fortune was based on his military force he covered his territories castles. These were built at points of significant strategic interest , and indeed on this occasion and for these purposes was erected our castle, retesting of the ever- important strategic point that was Busambra Rock . At sunset the Angevin power , expelled from Sicily following the popular movement of the Vespers , following the rule of the house of Aragon , a dark period characterized by anarchy and the baronial fratricidal struggle . The Angevin Castle and the nearby urban center , for its strategic importance, must have participated actively in this struggle between noble families against the central power , to bring back damaged that inhabited was canceled . In the sixteenth century the Emperor Charles V invested with the fief of Marineo Beccatelli Bologni Francis , superintendent of the island and lord of Cefalà Diana and Able , who in 1553 gave rise to the current Marineo with the build dwellings percent , followed soon by another two hundred , were built by his son Gilbert, who at the same time gave the start to the reconstruction and repair of the remains of the castle, which was turned into a palatial country house for a wealthy - lord , not surrounded by mighty defensive walls , but capable barns and by a wall covered with louvers on the access ramp to the main floor, a form of defense , not by armies but by fierce bandits on the road. The surfaces of his prospects altered and scarified , the purity and simplicity of the lines , combine to create an atmosphere around this castle that wins souls . The walls that merge and blend with the underlying steep walls of the gorge fully satisfy the ancestral vision of a mighty castle . The castle can become the keystone of tourist in the country, along with the urban zones surrounding it, on the one hand have the appearance and texture of a medieval village, because due to the decay have been abandoned for menial purposes , just this depreciation has saved this brief glimpse of the landscape authentic and original dating back to the origin of the country. This landscape , highlighted with cautious and circumspect restorations that do not alter the appearance, could become the natural frame to complement the castle, and with its picturesque scenery attract tourists , eager to go back in time in search of the pure and genuine as opposed to the hectic life of modern civilization. Even the square lends itself after a good recovery , Programming rich repertoire of folk performances and local theater performances.
FarmHouse in Marineo
(Sicilia Cooking Class)
Marineo Castle / Museum
Something about.. Isola delle Femmine (PA)
The origin of the name of the town dates back to the legendary Isle of females who sees the island a women's prison , as witnessed by Pliny the Younger (62 AD) in a letter to Trajan . Another witness traces the origin of its name to the Latin word “insula fimi”, or " Island of Euphemius " general Byzantine governor of the province of Palermo. The first historical documented and witnessed by archaeological findings date back to the Punics . Probable Carthaginian colony , the site presents the particular condition of safe harbor behind the island , sheltered against the winds of the east. From the church of Monreale bulletin dated 1912 states that , with the ancient name of " island fimi " dating back to 1176, it meant that the island is located at the mouth of maritime breast that extends westward to Punta Rais in the territory of Hikkara , also called portum gall, then Port of Gallo in 1581 , and now corresponds to the point of Grotto’s Oil , between the promontory of Barcarello and Malpasso . On an unspecified date the trap was constructed of fimi , from Latin FIMIS transcription of the Arabic word fim (mouth ) , then transformed into the dialect term Fimini, italian of females. The tuna structure was donated in 1176 by William II the Good Abbot Theobald, bishop of Monreale, the news confirmed by Frederick in his letters of 1320. Around 1400 a small church was built adjacent to the trap for the worship of the fishermen. Between the 15th and 18th centuries , the piracy practiced throughout the Mediterranean basin wreaked damage to the economy and to the maritime areas adjacent to the coast, including the community of Isola delle Femmine. He showed the need to strengthen the coastal urban centers with a system of towers aligned in a square and circular on the highest points of the territory, to spot the enemy from the sea , warn the people in time and prepare for evacuation defensive strategy needed to counter the enemy landing . At the end of the 16th were designed and built hundreds of towers with the collaboration of the most eminent architects of the time, Camilliani , which in 1583 celebrates an inspection and a detailed report of the coasts of the island of Sicily. Are still present today as a sign of strong characterization of the township, though not properly exploited , the ruins of the two towers at sea and on land, dating back to that period . On the island , already half of attendance in the Punic-Roman age , attested by the discovery of the tanks and anchors lead in the stretch of sea between the island and Sferracavallo , is the " tower in the sea", designed by the architect . military Tuscan C. Camilliani and erected at the end of 16th in defense of a fishing village and the surrounding areas . The building has a square plan and part basement escarpment , with two cisterns to collect rainwater and load-bearing wall structure with a thickness of more than two meters. The " tower in the earth," whose presence is attested already in 1176 in defense of the " Tonnarella mounts and leverage" is likely built on a pre-existing , already mentioned in documents dating back to 1329 and 1383 . Adapted to the needs defensive around the fifteenth century , is built in tuff and has characteristics similar to the towers of Mondello and Sferracavallo , with a circular plan with two floors , the lower of which combined tank and top with time to dome , used by torrari as a warehouse for weapons , provisions and guardhouse. On the roof terrace , reached by an internal staircase partially demolished , is surrounded by a parapet with openings for the guns . The tower kept until a few years ago, traces of the original tank flooring , plaster and network conveying and collection of rainwater to the cistern . It has recently been restored by the Regional Province of Palermo. Both the islet that the land belonged to the family in the 16th century Bologna. The tuna was owned by the Archbishop of Monreale, and alleged by Count Gilberto Bologna , owner of the funds of Capaci which included the present territory of the Island , which claimed his right to property by renting houses and warehouses to the fishermen at high prices. In 1799 the territory forming part of the bottom of the Counts of Capaci was granted to the fishermen to build a village, which at that time has a modest Domestication with the sites identified in the church and in characterizing the trap , which became the family home after his departure from Bologna fishermen to the change in route of tuna today current Municipal House. It is configured so the initial core of the city center of Island of the Females made up in the current way of May, Via Roma, Via Romeo and whose transverse axis is constituted by the building of the trap and squares Piazza Umberto I and XXI Aprile . On the sides of the aggregate arise Plan west and east Plan , where lay their nets to dry . Consider the configuration of the soil of the land, not suitable for cultivation , the main activity has always been devoted to fishing , especially tuna that seasonally across the territorial waters of the surroundings, a characteristic that has affected the economic, social and urban development of the territory linked to the sea as a source of sustenance, still the main source of many local activities . The wealth of marine wildlife and the climate allowed the construction and urban development in the city center of the seaside village called tuna in 1831 and popularly referred to as " Capaci Iusu " - Capaci - under . The name dates back to 1800-10 and tuna comes from the presence of the islet to the east of the site where the traps were lowered . In 1854 the township of tuna , belonging to the town of Capaci , became an independent municipality with a civil state and named Isle of females. The population grows progressively since then , except for the period between 1880-1900 in which a large percentage of the islanders emigrated to the edge of the resistant vessels; premises called " Capaciote ." The emigration becomes exodus to the American mirage , with the founding of new suburb of Pittsburg, on the Sacramento River , near San Francisco. Population growth resumed in 1965 with the transfer of the seasonal population of Palermo for the summer holidays . In 1997, the Region of Sicily establishing the Natural Reserve (RNO) Island of the Females ( Islet ) , and in 2003 the Minister of Environment establishing Marine Protected Area of Capo Gallo - Island of the Females , to witness the beauty in scenic, environmental and wildlife of land and sea to Isle of females.
Isola delle Femmine
Sicilian Cooking Class
Pasta with Pesto Trapanese
Trapani, its land and its perfumes all about this famous and traditional dish. For the pastry board a fresh pasta, preferably the typical busiate Trapani, alternatively you can use the Trofie or Strozzapreti. The pesto is, as the Sicilian tradition wants, simple and fresh and the ingredients that are especially should exalt the aromas. The basis is that of a red pesto, preferable to use very ripe tomatoes raw, well-cleaned and stripped of their liquid. You add the extra virgin olive oil, basil, garlic, pine nuts, almonds or better, black pepper, nutmeg and "crushes" the whole. Alternatively, you can blow it all in a pan for a few minutes. The cheese aged people who want to put it, but a local tradizine wants us to use bread crumbs spiced with a dash of nutmeg and chopped almonds lightly toasted. Good served with a white or Inzolia which Grillo.
BOOK NOW YOUR NEXT EXCURSIONSICILY !
E x c u r s i o n S i c i l y . c o m 2 0 1 9
Group Daily Excursions
with English Speaking Driver Assistant
W e e k l y P r o g r a m
"E X C U R S I O N S I C I L Y” 2 0 1 9 (01/04-30/11)
MINIGROUP DAY TRIP BY ENGLISH SPEAKING DRIVER ASSISTANT & BOOK/AUDIO GUIDE
SUNDAY total 8 hours approx
First pick up at 8.00am
SEGESTA PARCO (stop 2 hours) + ERICE VETTA (stop 3 hours)
€ 50.00 per person
MONDAY total 5 hours 30 minutes approx
First pick up at 8.00am
MONREALE DUOMO * (stop 1 hour) + CEFALU 'HISTORIC CENTER (stop 2 hours)
€ 50.00 per person
MONDAY total 5 hours approx
First pick up at 03.00pm
MARSALA CANTINA (visit and tasting of 3 wines + Olio E.V.O., duration about 1 hour) + stop SALINE (about 45 minutes)
TUESDAY 12 hours approx
First pick up at 7.00am (stop at Sacchitello 15 minutes)
ETNA SUD (stop 2 hours, any time allowed for the first part of the cableway but not for the whole optional) + TAORMINA CENTRO (stop 2 hours)
€ 80.00 per person
WEDNESDAY total 9 hours approx
First pick up at 7.00am
ETNA SUD (stop 3 hours, time allowed for the complete optional)
€ 60.00 per person
THURSDAY & SATURDAY total 8 hours approx
First pick up at 8.00am
AGRIGENTO VALLE DEI TEMPLI * AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM (park break 2 hours 30 minutes includingtime for optional lunch + 1 hour archaeological museum)
€ 50.00 per person
FRIDAY total 6 hours approx
First pick up 09.30am
SICILIAN RUSTIC COOKING LESSON IN AGRITURISMO (near Palermo) WITH VISIT OF THE FARM AND FARM AND LUNCH INCLUDED with assistant in English / French / German
€ 65.00 per person
* EXPECTED AUDIOGUIDE INCLUDED
POLICIES & NOTES
ENTRANCES, MEALS, MANCES, EXTRA, unless specified, are not included.
GUESTS WILL HAVE TO RECEIVE AT THE PICK UP POINT 5 MINUTES BEFORE THE DEPARTURE, IN CASE OF ABSENCE, NO REPAYMENT IS PROVIDED.
ALL EXCURSIONS INCLUDE ENGLISH SPEAKING, WATER ON DISPOSAL ON BOARD (1/2 PER PAX), BOOK OR AUDIO GUIDE. (BOOK / AUDIO GUIDE AVAILABLE IN SPANISH / FRENCH / GERMAN, GUIDE BOOK ALSO IN RUSSIAN AND JAPANESE).
ALL EXCURSIONS HAVE THE FOLLOWING FIXED PICK UP (for unscheduled pick up, if available, a supplement of € 5.00 per person is required), all vehicles will have the EXCURSIONSICILY.COM + DESTINATION OF THE SERVICE sign:
- PIAZZA RUGGERO VII C / O HOTEL POLITEAMA;
- AFTER 5 MINUTES GREEN SQUARE C / O RESTAURANT AT 59;
- AFTER 5 MINUTES VIA MAQUEDA FRONT PIAZZA PRETORIA C / O YELLOW STRIPES;
- AFTER 5 MINUTES PIAZZA GIULIO CESARE - CENTRAL STATION - C / O BAR BACIO NERO;
- AFTER 5 MINUTES ENTRANCE VILLA GIULIA - VIA LINCOLN.
For excursions Towards western Sicily the opposite direction will be followed.
All times will still be assigned at the time of confirmation.
NO DISCOUNTS FOR CHILDREN / BABIES ARE PROVIDED.
CHILDREN SEAT 0/36 + 4/6 YEARS ARE AVAILABLE WITHOUT ANY SUPPLEMENT ONLY ON BOOKING H24 BEFORE THE SERVICE"
OUR DAY TRIPS ARE GET YOUR GUIDE & VIATOR APPROVED.
BOOKGUIDES ALSO AVAILABLE IN SPANISH, FRENCH, GERMAN, JAPANESE & RUSSIAN under request
POLICIES & CONDITIONS
*Price for suggested menu (2 courses + fruit, beverage not incl.). We are not responsible for prices and services. Suggested restaurant/bar/self service will be on the spot by drivers.
WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE ABOUT CHANGING RATE ON NATIONAL/REGIONAL/LOCAL ENTRANCE FEES
Guaranteed departures with minimum number of participants.
PICK UP IS SUGGESTED FROM FIRST LOCATION IN PALERMO. PICK UP TIME MUST BE RECONFIRMED ONE DAY BEFORE.
Book or Audio guide where indicated: free to charge Pick up: from main hotels in Palermo area NO Discount: 0-2 Y.O. & 3-11 Y.O. NO SURCHAGE FOR BABY SITE (TO BE RESERVED)
SURCHAGE PICK UP HOTEL MONREALE/MONDELLO € 5.00 PER PAX
FINAL CONFIRMATION 48 HOURS BEFORE DEPARTURE
BOOKING FEE: € 5.00 PER PERSON
(NO FOR WEB CLIENTS)
Cancellation Fees: 1 day before 50 %, no show 100%.
Departure & time of services could change in case of road traffic.
*Extras, tips, entrance fees & meals not included, INCLUDED ONLY IF INDICATED
**Audio Guide or Book Guide on site where available,
Local guides on site included over 14 guests.
Most Value Excursion: Agrigento
One of the most requested excursion, Agrigento Full day, start every thursday. The famous Valley of Temples lies about 2 hours from Palermo, crossing the beautifull panoramic road of Sicani mountain, also called the road of cheese. First part of the excursion is by bookguide on nice promenade on valley of Temples, visiting: Temple of Hera, Temple of Concordia, Whitecastle villa & Temple of Heracle. After free time for lunch break & time to visit the incredible archeologic museum or for a charming promenade discovering the heart of the town on famous via Athenea. Back to Palermo about at 16.00
Erice Porta Trapani (City Gate)
Are You a Travel Agency or a Tour Operator ?
Do You have an accomodation Business in Sicily ?
Do You want to insert Your Business in our web site ?
Ask Us to start a partnership !
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION !
UNESCO HERITAGES IN SICILY
Etna Natural Park
Group day trip with Taormina or Private
The most high active volcano in Europe for at least
2700 years and also the most studied since the greek
period. Etna is the capital for the experts of Volcano
logy and geo sciences, as well as' for lovers of
trekking and nature. Holding 19 town,from few to 3.350
meters on the sea level offers a wide touristic
experience all year round. From Crateri Silvestri
(1,850 m.s.l.) is possible, by a funicular and local
mountain guides (C.A.I.),to arrive up to 2,500 m.s.l.
enjoying one of the most unforgettable panorama view
of Your life !
Val di Noto and its baroque towns
On request day trip
Completely destroyed by the earthquake of 1693,
which totally changed the topography of the eastern
side of the island, all towns in this charming part
of Sicily, where restored andrebuilt with the art of
that time: baroque. Val di Noro hold: Noto, Palazzolo
Acreide, Ragusa, Modica, Scicli, Catania, Caltagirone
and Militello in Val di Catania, all common by
baroque but all shared by different aspects making a
mosaic of the baroque part of Sicily.
Villa Romana al Casale in Piazza Armerina
Private day trip
Located in the Province of Enna, in the heart os
Sicily, is one of the most wide example of ancient
Roman art best preserved to the present day in the
world, offering about 3,500 square meters of mosaics
virtually intact. Its is like a big book explaing You
the way of life of romans. Recently restored, now is
offering Youa better way to visit.
The Valley of the Temples in Agrigento
Group and Private day trip
Let yourself be carried away by the charm of this
fabulous archaeological site, an important testimony
of Greek culture, full of temples, shrines and
cemeteries Doric made of tuff sandstone (local stone).
The most important temples are located in a hill,
showing You a postcard of this side of Sicily.
With its 1300 hectares, is the largest archaeological
site in the world. Really important for its
testimoniances is the Archeo Museum located near by
le beautiful church of San Nicola.
On request day trip
Enjoy a little 'relaxation, the seven siters (islands)
of the archipelago, located off the north coast of
Sicily, in fron of Milazzo, are: Lipari, Vulcano,
Panarea, Salina, Alicudi, Filicudi, Stromboli. They
are all of volcanic origin, some still in work:
Stromboli and Vulcano, take precisely the name two
types of eruptions, those strombolian and those
Vulcan. You will enjoy a deep blue sea, the
magnificent scenery, including steaming volcanoes
and surrounded by wilderness and nature. Aeolian
Islands were from ancient age always the bridge
beetwen Italy and Sicily. Thanks to that are also
rich in archeology.
Syracuse and Pantalica
Private day trip
Syracuse, the famous city of Archimede, now visited
from turist from all over the world for the
archaeological site of Neapolis and the pretty island
of Ortigia which is the oldest part of the city.
Pantalica, not far from Syracuse, is a Greek
necropolis - dating back to the eighth century BC,
placed inside a nature reserve that is also the
largest in Europe, with its 5000 tombs.
Scicli panorama (Val di Noto)
LAST UNESCO HERITAGE IN SICILY:
PALERMO, MONREALE & CEFALU'.. ..ask for more information !